By Gavriel Fleischer (http://blog.fleischer.hu/gavriel/)
• Why it's awesome: It's more practical than awesome, simply promote your authors
• Why it was picked: Popularity, ease of use
Meet our Writers brandon (RSS) Patrick (RSS)
Powered by Authors Widget
• License: GNU General Public License
• Manual Install URL: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/authors/
• Automatic Install search term: Authors Widget
• Configuration location: None
Authors Widget displays each of your authors, a link to their profile, and a link to an RSS feed containing only their posts. Once installed, you simply visit the Appearance | Widgets page and drag the Authors Widget to your sidebar.
Once inside of your sidebar, expand the widget to set the following customizations:
• Title—The text to show above the list of authors, which would be a good starting point.
• Format—It is either a list or a drop down. It's recommended to go with a list, as it helps the search engine bots find all of your juicy content. To a bot, a drop down is ultimately invisible.
• Order by Name or Post Count—Choosing Post Count will show the most type-happy authors first, which, in some cases, can cause a good/bad competition between authors. Going with name would be the politically correct way to go.
• Show Avatar — An avatar is simply a cute name for Your picture.
• Avatar Size—The pixel size of the author's photo. Consider staying between 32 pixels and 64 pixels, as these are the most common avatar sizes used today.
• Show RSS links—Toggle between showing and hiding a link for RSS feed containing only the author's posts. Make sure to tell your authors to promote their personal RSS feed to as many people as possible.
• Show post counts—This will show the number of posts an author has.
• Exclude Admin—Toggle between showing and hiding the admin account in the list. Personally, I suggest that you turn this feature off to ensure that you're not promoting your admin users' accounts publicly.
• Hide Credit — Turn on or off your support to Gavriel Fleischer, the plugin's author. If turned on, under your list of authors will be a link back to the plugin's home page.
Was this article helpful?